Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reasons for Being

One of the main purposes in my life, at this juncture, is to help to create a world where all people are welcome. What does this mean? First of all, it means that locations should be physically accessible to everyone. Secondly, it means that people should feel welcome when entering a location. Finally, people should want to return if they are truly made to feel welcome. I am starting this with me, in my home, and working outward. I would love to hear your thoughts about how to make places more welcoming for all people.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,

    It's always good to make changes as you see fit, starting with the person in the mirror. I commend you for that realization. I know a smile is alwaya a symbol of welcome and your post suggests to me that you are smiling so thank you for the welcoming atmosphere.

    Good to meet you and I look forward to seeing you in seminar and on the discussion board.

    ~ kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. We learned about a Federal Act in Medical Ethics class my first term here at Kaplan University. Here is an excerpt and it can be easily found on a Google search. I thought this might be interesting to you and help you achieve your goals with some of the guidelines that they have implemented thusfar.

    The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) provides affirmative action and prohibits employee discrimination based on Americans with disabilities.. It also prohibits discrimination in State and local government public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications. This applies to Employers with 15 or more employees, and includes Federal contractors and subcontractors with Federal contracts of more than $10,000.

    ReplyDelete